This is a quick and easy way to make a basic white loaf. You can also check out our post about the 12 Step for making basic Bread dough to make it even easier.
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water (not over 110°F)
2½ – 3 cups all-purpose flour
1. In the mixing bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm water,
sugar, and salt. Sprinkle yeast evenly on top.
2. When yeast has dissolved and started foaming, add most of
the flour and mix with a dough hook until a dough forms.
The amount of flour may vary depending on several factors;
you are looking for a smooth consistency. Remember you
can always add more, but you cannot take it out.
3. When you have adjusted the consistency to form a smooth
dough, knead the dough with the machine or by hand to develop the
gluten. The dough should snap back when stretched and
4. Place dough in an oiled coated bowl, cover and let rise in a
5. Once the dough has risen, uncover, punch it down.
6. Round the dough by making a smooth ball of dough,
gathering all the ragged edges together at the bottom
7. Let rest under damp towels for 5 – 10 minutes; the higher
the ambient temperature, the less time for resting.
8. After resting, shape the dough ball into a loaf or cut into
12 even pieces and form into dinner rolls.
9. Coat shaped dough with egg wash and let rise until almost
double in size. Do not over proof.
10. For loaves, bake in a 350⁰F oven for 35 – 40 minutes, until
bread is golden and sounds hollow. For rolls, bake for 8 – 12
minutes, until they are golden and light for their size.