Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Total Time: 20 minutes +setting time
- Yield: 1 pint
The possibilities are endless for this sweet treat. You can change it up every time you make it. Try it with toasted coconut, chopped hazelnuts or even bacon! This is the basic recipe but you can add your own twist. This is a great recipe that the whole family will love to make on a New Years Eve at home.
1 16-oz. container strawberries
½ c. 60% cacao dark chocolate baking chips*
1½ T. coconut oil, divided
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips*
¼ c. white chocolate chips
¼ c. pecans, very finely chopped
*Use either 1 cup dark chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips, if preferred
1. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
2. Thoroughly wash strawberries and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on the prepared baking sheet and allow to air dry for one hour or until completely dry.
3. Place dark chocolate chips and one-half tablespoon coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between each segment, until melted and completely smooth.
4. Dip bottom 2/3 of the strawberries into the dark chocolate until covered. Gently drag the bottom edge against the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate before transferring to the baking sheet.
5. Optional: If using two types of chocolate chips, repeat Steps #3 and #4 with semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate chips, one-half tablespoon coconut oil.
6. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator until the chocolate completely “sets,” approximately 20 minutes.
7. Place the white chocolate chips and the remaining coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between segments, until the chocolate is completely melted. Carefully drizzle the melted white chocolate over some of the chocolate-covered strawberries with a spoon.
Tip: For better control, use a pastry bag fitted with a very small tip or an empty squeeze bottle for this.
8. Place the finely chopped nuts, sprinkles, toasted coconut, or other ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
9. Dip the bottom of remaining strawberries in the melted white chocolate and then dip into the bowl of ingredients in step 8. Swirl until the bottom of each strawberry is completely coated. Transfer to the baking sheet with the other strawberries and return to refrigerator until set, approximately 20 minutes.
10. When the chocolate is firm, remove the baking sheet from the refrigerator and serve immediately.
First, the strawberries must be completely dry before dipping. Otherwise, the chocolate will not adhere correctly. For best results, allow the strawberries to air dry for at least an hour before dipping in the melted chocolate.
Second, to avoid chocolate that breaks apart and falls off the strawberries when you bite into it, be sure to add some form of oil to the melted chocolate prior to dipping. If you don’t have coconut oil, you can use an equal amount of melted butter or a neutral (tasteless) oil, such as sunflower oil, instead.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-5 minutes
Keywords: Chocolate,strawberries, Kid, recipe,new years eve, fun,family